Welcome to our short, sweet and to the point RAJAR report, giving you everything you need for Friday’s client lunch bants.
If you would like a more in-depth version of the radio listening reporting then let us know - we have all the planning tools in-house for radio, digital radio, digital audio and programmatic audio.
Headline News for All Radio Listening
A very interesting read this quarter and you may have heard that radio has dropped audiences across the year. Some London stations have seen a significant drop year on year, but radio still has 88% of the UK population tuning in each week and 63% of the UK population tune in to digital radio each week. Digital listening has a record share of 52.6% up year on year.
Here are the headlines that we think matter the most:
Each listener listens to an average of 20.7 hours of live radio every week.
Mobile and tablet listening is up year on year for all adults to 27%.
In an average week:
- 68% of all adults listen at home
- 64% listen in the car (or on other modes of transport)
- 22% listen at work or elsewhere
Figures by Group
The groups have had a drop QonQ. Total commercial radio is down 236,000 listeners this quarter with a total of 35.5 million per week.
Global leads the UK commercial radio market with 23.6 million weekly listeners.
Next is Bauer Media with 17.9 million per week.
Wireless is third with 4.8 million.
The Brands and the Networks
The main point to take away is that most stations have lost listeners, apart from the Magic Network who have gained 200,000 per week.
- Heart Brand - 9.7 million
- Heart Network - 8.5 million
- Capital Brand - 8.2 million
- Capital Network - 7.2 million
- Hits Radio Brand - 6.1 million
- Kiss Network - 5.5 million
- Smooth Network - 5.1 million
- Absolute Radio Network - 4.7 million
- Magic Network - 4.2 million
Classic FM still rules the airwaves with a steady regular listenership north of five million. Elsewhere, there are consistent listening figures, with Classic, Magic and TalkSPORT increasing their weekly reach QonQ.
- Classic FM - 5.3 million
- Kiss - 4.0 million
- Magic FM - 3.4 million
- TalkSPORT - 2.9 million
- Absolute - 2.3 million
In the Capital
In London, Capital remains number one.
- Capital London - 1.8 million
- Kiss London - 1.6 million
- Magic London - 1.6 million
- Heart London - 1.5 million
- LBC 97.3 - 1.1 million
- Smooth Radio London - 818,000
- Absolute London - 726,000
- LBC News London - 462,000
- Radio X - 480,000
North of the Border
- Capital Scotland - 567,000
- Clyde 1 - 535,000
- Heart Scotland - 400,000
- Smooth Scotland - 337,000
- Forth 1 - 315,000
Regional Brands/Stations by reach:
- Smooth Radio North West - 1.0 million
- Capital Yorkshire - 951,000
- Heart North West - 609,000
- Heart West Midlands - 630,000
- Heart West Country - 603,000
- Capital Manchester - 500,000
- Smooth Radio North East - 528,000
- Smooth Radio West Midlands - 497,000
- Heart Four Counties - 476,000
- Capital East Midlands - 473,000
Here are the top 5 digital brands:
- Kisstory - 1.8 million
- Absolute 80s - 1.5 million
- Heart 80s - 1.3 million
- Planet Rock - 1.0 million
- Absolute 90’s - 969,000
*source: Radio Today